Our iPhone captures amazing videos whether you're recording in 4K, slow motion, or the good old 1080p. But what good is a great video if no one can see it?
Sharing virtually anything from iOS is a painless process, and video is no exception. Which method or service works best for you depends on who you want to share it with. I'll even show you how to link videos on your iPhone so that people can watch them from any device.
1. Share videos from the Photos app
When you record a video, it is saved in the Photos app on your iPhone and may be uploaded to iCloud Photos if you use this service. To see all of your videos, open Photos and go to the Albums tab, then scroll down and tap Videos.
The easiest way to share videos from your iPhone is through the Photos app itself. Here's how to do it:
- Open the video you want to share in the Photos app and tap the Share button.
- Your last AirDrop and message contacts will be displayed in the top line of the sharing sheet. The second line lists the apps that you can use to share videos.
- Tap the contact or app you want to share your video with.
This is the best way to share videos that you want to send using the Messages app, especially since the top line of the sharing sheet lists your most recent contacts from that app. However, your iPhone may compress videos that you send with messages (if sending via SMS) to meet the size limits of your service provider.
Typically, tapping an iPhone app on the second line of the sharing sheet will open a new window where you can add a message or choose exactly how to share the video with that app. Alternatively, you can also open the app yourself and use the sharing functions within the app for even more options.
Why choose the Photos app?
Sharing right from this menu is a great option if you want to browse the videos on your iPhone before you decide to share.
2. Share to local devices with AirDrop
The best way to transfer videos from your iPhone to nearby Apple devices is to use AirDrop. It's much faster than uploading videos to the internet and doesn't compress their content.
Even better, AirDrop lets you share your videos on any Apple device: iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
Here's how to share your iPhone videos using AirDrop:
- Open the Photos app and find your video.
- Tap the Share button and then select AirDrop on the second line.
- You should see every Apple device in Bluetooth range that has AirDrop turned on. Tap the device you want to share your video with.
AirDrop is a little temperamental and seems to work best with newer devices. You don't have to be on the same Wi-Fi network, but you do need to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
Why choose AirDrop?
Transfer speeds are lightning fast as AirDrop doesn't rely on an internet connection. AirDrop doesn't need to compress your videos either.
Sharing for local Android devices
AirDrop doesn't work with Android devices so you'll have to use third-party applications to share locally and across platforms. In general, both devices must be using the same third-party application and connected to the same Wi-Fi network for this to work.
If you can't connect to the same Wi-Fi network, create a personal hotspot on your iPhone instead. To do this, go to Settings> Mobile> Personal Hotspot.
There are numerous third-party applications available for cross-platform sharing, but I recommend using applications like SHAREit or PhotoSync. Both are available for free on iPhone and Android devices.
3. Upload videos to social media platforms
If you want to share your iPhone videos with all of your friends, family members, and followers, then social media and video sharing platforms are your best choices. Just download your favorite app, log in and upload your video with the app itself.
Here are some of the best apps for uploading your iPhone videos:
- YouTube: Public, private or unlisted videos, with almost no size limits.
- Vimeo: High quality public and private videos limited to 500MB / week.
- Instagram: Public videos of up to a minute or more with IGTV.
- Facebook: Public or private videos with a limit of 240 minutes or 10 GB in size.
- Tweet: Public videos with a limit of two minutes and 20 seconds or 512MB in size.
- Flickr: Public or private videos with a limit of three minutes or 1 GB in size.
All of these video hosting sites offer slightly different ways to upload videos from your iPhone. Most of them are available through the sharing sheet in the Photos app, but you can also choose to upload, publish, or share videos from the apps themselves.
Which platform should you choose? If your videos aren't that long, use the service that most of your friends and relatives already use. Just be warned that a lot of social media applications use pretty aggressive video compression.
4. Upload videos to a shared album in ICloud
Shared cloud albums are one of the best ways to share videos with other friends and family who own an iPhone. Shared albums work like a private social media feed. Everyone receives notifications for new photos or videos and can add comments. You can even let other people add their own videos.
Shared albums in iCloud don't use extra iCloud storage, so you won't lose storage space as other people keep uploading more videos. To make this work, Apple compresses the uploaded videos. So they don't look as good on recipients' devices as they do on yours.
Here's how to create a shared album for sharing videos through iCloud:
- Launch Photos and find the video that you want to share. Select multiple photos and videos if you want.
- Tap the Share button and then select Add to Shared Album under the first two lines.
- In the pop-up window that appears, add a comment to your video. Then select a shared album or create a new shared album and choose who to share it with.
Why use iCloud Shared Albums?
iCloud Shared Albums are free and easy to use with any Apple device, so you can add more pictures and videos to the same shared album over and over again.
Create an ICloud link to share your iPhone videos
To use iCloud Shared Albums, everyone must have an Apple device. However, if you create an iCloud link for your videos instead, people can watch or download your videos from any device.
You can share these video links with other people through text, email, social media, or even add a link on your blog. The links will automatically expire after 30 days, but you can choose to stop sharing your video sooner if you want.
Here's how to create an iCloud link for videos on your iPhone:
- Open Photos and select the video that you want to create a link for.
- Tap the Share button, then scroll down and choose Copy iCloud Link.
- After your iPhone prepares the video link, paste it into a text message, email, or social media post to share with whoever you want.
- To stop sharing an iCloud link, go to the With You tab in Photos and find the Recently Shared section. Tap the video you want to stop sharing, then tap the three-dot menu (...) and select Stop Sharing.
5. Share videos with Google Photos
Google Photos is similar to iCloud Photos, but it's a better option for sharing with Android and Windows users. After you've uploaded your iPhone photo and video library to Google Photos, you can share a link to your videos with anyone with a Google account.
Google allows you to upload all of your photos and videos to Google Photos in "high quality" for free, using minimal compression to reduce the size of your files. You can upload original quality videos instead, but these files consume your available space on Google Drive (you get 15GB for free).
Here's how to share your iPhone videos with Google Photos:
- Open Google Photos on your iPhone. If this is your first time to use it, sign in with your Google account and upload your iPhone photos and videos to Google.
- Select the video that you want to share, then click the Share button.
- Select a current Google contact or use the Search button to find a Google Account with someone's name, phone number, or email address.
- Tap Next and write a message you want to send with your video, then tap Send to share.
Why use Google Photos?
It's perfect for sharing videos with non-Apple devices that can't access iCloud. Also, you can use Google Photos to backup your videos online.
6. Create a link with cloud storage services
If you only want to share a file with one person or a small group of people, cloud storage services are the way to go. These services typically don't compress your videos, which means you can share them with the highest quality. It also means you may need more storage space for longer, higher resolution videos.
Due to the lack of compression, this is the best way to share your iPhone videos when quality is a concern for editing or production purposes.
The key to success is having enough storage space available on the service you choose. My preferred options include Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive. Each of these options gives you a small amount of cloud storage for free.
Most cloud storage services work directly from the share sheet in the Photos app. But you can also upload files and set up video sharing links in the apps themselves on your iPhone. After you've created a link, send it to your friends or family in a text, email, or social media message.
Which service is the best?
Google Drive gives you a generous 15 GB of free storage space. And if you're using Gmail or YouTube, then you already have a Google account.
7. Peer-To-Peer Transfer with Resilio Sync
You can share videos using a peer-to-peer setup through an application called Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync). This eliminates the need for a cloud storage service as Resilio Sync sends the file directly from your iPhone to the recipient's device.
Although Resilio Sync is safe and fast - limited only by your internet speed - both devices must be online and using the app for the transfer to take place.
You need to keep Resilio Sync open on your iPhone for as long as it takes to transfer your videos. Therefore, it is not ideal for large files.
Here's how to transfer videos to your iPhone using Resilio Sync:
- Open Resilio Sync on your iPhone and make sure the recipient has it open on their own device.
- Tap the Add (+) button and choose Share File. Select the video you want to share from your photo library.
- On the sharing sheet, choose how you'd like to send the Resilio Sync link to a contact.
- Once your contact person begins receiving the file, you should be able to see the transfer status at the bottom of the screen.
Why choose Resilio?
If you want a secure, peer-to-peer connection for sending uncompressed videos, then this is the best way to share videos from your iPhone.
Edit your videos to perfection before sharing
For most of the users, sharing videos on Facebook or Instagram is good enough. iCloud Shared Albums is the way to go for private sharing if your friends and family all use Apple devices; otherwise, Google Photos is a great alternative.
If you have the online storage space available, then cloud services like Dropbox are a great option for sharing uncompressed video files. And if you don't have enough storage space, you can safely transfer videos directly between devices using Resilio Sync instead.
Choose the option that's right for you and run the camera. Just make sure to use some iPhone video editing apps to perfect your videos before sharing them with the whole world.
A little tip from me. If you need an explanatory video or a series of explanatory videos. Visit my partner Explain-it-simple
At You will receive perfectly tailored explanatory videos that explain your topic, service or product in a minimum of time.